Pages

Mar 28, 2014

Sizing Up the Highlights


Sizing up the month's highlights once again. These bits of thought come to mind... 

1. We all relearned the two faces of March. 








I remain partial to the fragile blooming, bright, crisp air version. And have risked planting flowers in the front porch pots. During the final days of the month I'll learn if that was a smart move or not. Fingers crossed.


2. I was just sort of visually stunned to peruse the Google data center . Take a look at the artistic  innards of what is basically today's version of the blended, global library and post office.

3. I'm discovering HGTV. {Geez, you're thinking, where have you been?} Never the less,  House Hunters International is new to me. I so admire the various motivations that people have for moving beyond their native country. One woman was a food blogger moving to a small city in France to immerse herself in local cuisine to better inform her writing. A couple, after years of working in the hospitality industry, was looking for an island resort of their own, to live in and manage. Making dreams like these a reality takes courage and creativity. Not to mention the fascinating diversity of design and architecture of housing around the world.




4. I hit a jackpot of good reads this month and was introduced to two authors. One, Christian poet Jane Kenyon wrote a delightful collection of essays that were published in A Hundred White Daffodils {must love that title!}. See a post about her writing and excerpts from her poems over here

Next up, I courageously ventured through Mary Karr's memoir, LIT. I will admit to skimming the harsh early chapters. It takes a stout heart to read authentic struggles. BUT, the remaining story of hard sought scratching toward survival through faith and her eventual conversion to Christianity was stunning. Her writing is gifted while shirking no realities. In an interview about her work memoirist Mary Karr stated:
"That’s what’s so gorgeous about humanity. It doesn’t matter how bleak our daily lives are, we still fight for the light. I think that’s our divinity. We lean into love, even in the most hideous circumstances. We manage to hope." The Paris Review, 2009.
Swan Thieves was fiction to curl up and get lost in. It wrapped me in the painter's life and art history with a compelling psychological mystery woven through two parallel plots. To be savored.

5. Encountered several beautiful unknown words recently. I favored this one: numinous - spiritually elevated, mysterious.



6. Walking in early spring twilight is heavenly. 
Even as solar beams slip low on the horizon the senses remember heat and light.

                                            ~

Venture over to What We Learned to share the humorous and the quirky of fellow writers in Emily's community. You'll think, "Really? I did not know that!"

4 comments:

  1. Spring is bringing all sorts of beauty to light! I love the view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know I'm blessed with our view beside the actual 'still waters' that is my blog's name sake. Kind of you to visit here this morning. May spring fill your soul today.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing these titles. I read Jane Kenyon's Otherwise collection last year, and now feel the need to reread it as well as her collection of essays. I found her poems on depression were so strong, but did not get the impression that she was a Christian poet. Interesting.

    I saw that same HGTV episode where they wanted to buy an island. I love your perspective that the show features people pursuing their dreams. I find myself thinking, jealously, 'They must be trust-fund-ers!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly pleased to have you take a minute to stop for a chat Deirdre!
      Truthfully, it has crossed my mind that the financial freedom to follow many of these globe trotting dreams is rare. But then there have been episodes of those who find the financial equivalent of their housing back home, typically a furnished apartment {in Florence (!) or coastal Australia, let's say} and can reasonably afford to be expats. So for those free spirits dreams materialize.

      Delete