Pages

Jul 13, 2013

The Hushed Voice, The Gentle Whisper






A spirit glided past my face, 
and the hair on my body stood on end. 
It stopped,

but I could not tell what it was.
A form stood before my eyes,
and I heard a hushed voice...

Job 4:15-16

~

After the earthquake came a fire, 
but the Lord was not in the fire.
And after the fire came a gentle whisper.
When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face 
and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
1 Kings 19; 12-13
~

From L.B. Cowman’s Streams in the DesertA.B. Simpson writes on June 30...
“This ‘gentle whisper’ became for me the voice of prayer, wisdom, and service. No longer did I need to work so hard to think, pray, or trust, because the Holy Spirit’s ‘gentle whisper’ in my heart was God’s prayer in the secret places of my soul. It was his answer to all my questions, and His life and strength for my soul and body. His voice became the essence of all knowledge, prayer, and blessings, for it was the living God Himself as my life and my all.” 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo and thoughts here! I'm next to you at still saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa
    This still, small Voice of our Lord Jesus that whispers in my heart brings so much joy and peace in my life!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a peaceful post! One of my favorite passages is I Kings 19. Thank you for sharing! Love, Rachael @ Inking the Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is lovely! Streams in the Desert is one of my favorites... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. It's important to cultivate that "listening ear" so that we are open to receive those words of instruction, wisdom, and revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful verse and photo. I hope you have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I read your words, I'm thinking of the little boy Samuel who heard God's still, calm, persistent voice in the dead of night. Thank you for gentle truth today, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful, Lisa! I wish to be more sensitive to His voice, developing a sharper ear, to hear him better!

    ReplyDelete